- T. Duggan*, L. Horowitz*, A. Ulug*, E. Baker, and K. Petersen. “Simple, Slow, and Steady: Inchworm-Inspired Locomotion in Soft Robots”. International Conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft), 2019. *Equally contributing first authors.
- Kirstin H. Petersen, Nils Napp, Robert Stuart-Smith, Daniela Rus, and Mirko Kovac. “A review of collective robotic construction.” Science Robotics, 13 Mar 2019: Vol. 4, Issue 28, DOI: 10.1126/scirobotics.aau8479. (Paper)(Teaser video).
- Petersen, Kirstin H., and Robert F. Shepherd. “Fluid-driven intrinsically soft robots.” In Robotic Systems and Autonomous Platforms, pp. 61-84. Woodhead Publishing, 2019. (Book chapter)(Bibtex)
- Yawen Deng, Yiwen Hua, Nils Napp, and Kirstin Petersen, “Scalable Compiler for the TERMES Distributed Assembly System.” Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems. Springer, Cham, 2019. 125-138. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex) Best Student Paper Award.
- Yiwen Hua, Yawen Deng, and Kirstin Petersen, “Robots building bridges, not walls.” In 2018 IEEE 3rd International Workshops on Foundations and Applications of Self* Systems (FAS* W) (pp. 154-159). IEEE. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex)
- Yiwen Hua, “Building 3D Structures with an Intelligent Robot Swarm”, MS thesis, 2018. (Pdf)
- Yawen Deng, “Scalable Compiler for the TERMES Distributed Assembly System”, MS thesis, 2018. (Pdf)
- Vaidehi Patel, “Enabling Human Support of Robot Swarms”, MS thesis, 2018. (Pdf)
- H. Abdel-Raziq, D. Palmer, M. Smith, C. Chu, J. Huang, A. Molnar, and K. Petersen. “Leveraging Honey Bees as Bio-Cyber Physical Systems”. Janelia Workshop for Distributed, Collective Computation in Biology and Artificial Systems, Washington DC, 2018. (Poster)
- C. Futran, S. Ceron, B. MacMurray, R. Shepherd, and K. Petersen. “Leveraging Fluid-Resistance in Soft Robots”. First international IEEE-RAS conference on Soft Robotics (RoboSoft), Livorno, 2018. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex)
- S. Ceron, A. Kurumunda, E. Garg, M. Kim, T. Yeku, and K. Petersen. “Popcorn-Driven Robotic Actuators”. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Brisbane, 2018. (Pdf)(Video)
- Petersen, Kirstin, and Radhika Nagpal. “Complex Design by Simple Robots: A Collective Embodied Intelligence Approach to Construction.” Architectural Design 87.4 (2017): 44-49. (Paper)(Bibtex)
- P. Polygerinos, N. Correll, S. Morin, B. Mosadegh, C. Onal, K. Petersen, M. Cianchetti, M. Tolley, and R. Shepherd. “Soft Robotics: Review of Fluid-Driven Intrinsically Soft Devices; Manufacturing, Sensing, Control, and Applications in Human-Robot Interaction”. Advanced Materials (2017). DOI: 10.1002/adem.201700016. (Paper) (Cover)(Bibtex) Most read in July 2017.
- A. Sprowitz, C. Goettler, A. Sinha, C. Caer, M. Oztekin, K. Petersen, and M. Sitti. “Scalable Pneumatic and Tendon Driven Robotic Joint Inspired by Jumping Spiders”. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Singapore, 2017. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex)
- L. Hines, K. Petersen, and M. Sitti. “Asymmetric Stable States in Inflated Dielectric Elastomer Actuators”. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Singapore, 2017. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex)
- S. Viswanathan, R., K. Petersen. “OpenMind: Human-Swarm Interaction in Minecraft”. Bits On Our Minds (BOOM) 2017, Ithaca NY. (Poster). BOOM Disney award winner.
- W. Abajian, L. Chen, E. Ng, and K. Petersen. “ArachnaBot: Spider-Inspired Jumping Robot”. North East Robotics Colloquium (NERC) 2017, Ithaca NY. (Poster)
- Alberto Gutiérrez, Boling Hu, and K. Petersen. “Electronics for Autonomous Construction Robot”. Cornell MEng Poster session, 2017, Ithaca NY. (Poster). Best MEng Project in Category.
- L. Hines*, K. Petersen*, G. Z. Lum, and M. Sitti. “Soft Actuators for Small-Scale Robotics.” Advanced Materials (2016): 1521-4095. DOI: 10.1002/adma.201603483. *Equally contributing authors. (Paper)(Bibtex)
- D. Andreen, P. Jenning, N. Napp, and K. Petersen, “Emergent Structures Assembled by Large Swarms of Simple Robots”. Acadia 2016: Posthuman Frontiers, Ann Arbor, Michigan, November, 2016. (Pdf)(Bibtex)
- L. Hines*, K. Petersen*, & M. Sitti, “Inflated Soft Actuators with Reversible Stable Deformations,” Advanced Materials Communications, DOI: 10.1002/adma. 201600107, 2016. *Equally contributing authors. (Paper)(Video)(Bibtex)
- K. Petersen, P. Bardunias, N. Napp, J. Werfel, R. Nagpal, & S. Turner, “Arrestant property of recently manipulated soil on Macrotermes michaelseni as determined through visual tracking and automatic labeling of individual termite behaviors,” Journal of Behavioral Processes, vol. 116: 8-11, 2015. (Paper)(Bibtex)
- J. Werfel, K. Petersen, & R. Nagpal, “Designing collective behavior in a termite-inspired robot construction team,” Science, 343(6172):754-758, 2014 (Paper) (Cover)(Bibtex). Voted among the top ten Scientific Breakthroughs of 2014 by Science.
- K. Petersen, N. Napp, J. Chin-Lee, J. Werfel, & R. Nagpal, “3D Tracking of Building Processes in Macrotermes,” Workshop, Intl. Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), 2012. (Pdf)
- K. Petersen, J. Werfel, & R. Nagpal, “TERMES: An Autonomous Robotic System for Three- Dimensional Collective Construction,” Robotics: Science and Systems Conference (RSS), 2011. (Pdf)(Video)(Bibtex)
- J. Werfel, K. Petersen, & R. Nagpal, “Distributed Multi-Robot Algorithms for the TERMES 3D Collective Construction System,” Workshop, Intl. Conference on Robots and Systems (IROS), 2011. (Pdf)(Bibtex)