Kirstin Hagelskjær Petersen
Assistant Professor, ECE (CS, ME)
Prof. Petersen’s interests are on design and coordination of bio-inspired robot collectives and their natural counterparts. She started her career with a B.Sc. in electro-technical engineering at Odense University College of Engineering in 2005, and a masters in modern artificial intelligence with Prof. John Hallam at the University of Southern Denmark in 2008. After a couple of detours, she completed a PhD thesis with Prof. Radhika Nagpal at Harvard University and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering in 2014.
Petersen continued on to a postdoc with Director Metin Sitti at the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems 2014-2016, and became a fellow with the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems in 2015. Petersen started the Collective Embodied Intelligence Lab in 2016 as part of the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at Cornell University, and has field memberships in Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering.
Awards and Honors
- Early Career Faculty Champion Award, Cornell Office of Inclusion and Student Engagement, April 2018.
- Fellow of the Elisabeth Schiemann Kolleg, Max Planck, 2016-present
- Fellowship with the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, 2014-2016
- Research ranked 4th in Science Magazine’s Top 10 Scientific Achievements of 2014
Other Academic Roles
- Associate Editor for Robotics Automation Letters (RA-L) 2018
- Area Chair of Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS) 2018
- Reviewer/PC member for Science Robotics, AAAS, Science Advances, AAAS, Nature Scientific Reports, IEEE Transactions of Robotics, Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), IEEE International Conference of Robotics and Automation (ICRA), IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Robots and Systems (IROS), International Conference on Advanced Robotics (ICAR), International Symposium on distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems (DARS), IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO, SOCO workshop), IEEE International Conference Series on Cognitive Informatics and Cognitive Computing (ICCI-CC).